Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Odd Man Out / Perfect Partners


Now to finally show off my HMQS challenge quilt.  This is a quilt with a story.  It represents how I feel at times, in the quilting community.  I am the Odd Man Out.  In my quilting guild I am alone, but included but at the same time excluded.




When I get home, I stand alone with my Perfect Partner.  Tanya and I stand united (most of the time, she might argue this) in all that we do.  We are here to support each other and make each other strong.


I was given 4 fabrics as part of the challenge.  I was allowed to add up to 3 to go with it.  One of those I added was the butterflies.  I wanted something to stand out and be different.


I was some what terrified that I would mess up the quilt and only quilted it a little.  I think it would have turned out much better, had I spent more time and quilted it more.  If you are not familiar with "Richard's Star" my block pattern this is a free pattern I give away on Craftsy, follow that link to download it.


I knew when I did this challenge I wanted to use a block I created and I am so happy how well it turned out.  No it was not a winner and I could have (and should have) done better.  Being terrified I was afraid to do something different and unique.  Next time I will be a little more free in  the decisions I make.


Tanya used her machine to make me the label for the quilt, I think it turned out pretty good.

May Finishes

11 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love that you used the colors to create one "odd man out" block for the front. It's striking. Good job!

Elizabeth said...

I really love the colors in this quilt. The yellow butterfly fabric you added is perfect. And your block is really awesome.

Quilting for a show is a little scary. You know they are going to look at every stitch under a microscope. I applaud you for giving it a go. It is a great quilt.

xo -E

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You may see it as a quilt representing diference/seperation - I see it as expression, color, design, meeting a challenge.

Lorna McMahon said...

You chose the perfect fabric to add. That yellow butterfly is just what it needed. Great quilt, Richard!

Barbie Mills said...

I didn't realize you had participated in the challenge. You certainly had a lot of stiff competition, those quilts were amazing. Yours really did turn out nicely! The solid center squares are a nice touch. I like them pieced too, but for the butterfly fabric it works well.

Show quilting really is a whole different ballgame, isn't it? I think I prefer the county fair for now. =)

Turid said...

Pretty good job you did there. I love the use of the yellow butterfly fabric, it "made" the quilt.

Joyce Carter said...

Beautiful quilt, Richard. I love it--the design, the colors,everything.

Gene Black said...

I can empathize with you on the "odd man out" feeling. I think I feel that in most quilt shops. I do have one fabric store that I go to where I don't feel left out at all. (I love that place!)

I think you probably should have quilted it more. But so what, Live and learn. you did good, you put yourself out there. Keep at it!

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt! Perfect backing.

Teresa Quilts said...

I think you did a great job on your quilt, Richard! I love Tanya's label she made for it, too. That is one reason why I'm wanting an embroidery machine.

Heather said...

I Wish you were nearby then we could go to guild meetings together. Even though I have been a member over ten years, I still feel like the odd person out sometimes. Almost all the members are very traditional and that doesn't describe me one bit. I do try and shake them up, but it doesn't really make much of an impression. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

Love your block. I have printed it out and am looking forward to giving it a try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...