Monday, February 18, 2013

Pillar of Fire using the Helix pattern


I would like to introduce my newest quilt "Pillar of Fire" it was created using my Helix pattern (At least that is what I am going to call it for now).  A few weeks ago I talked about the creation of this quilt in the post
My Orange and Gray Needs a New Name! As such I needed a name.  I loved the suggestions and all of them would have fit great.  I am going to call my pattern Helix. This quilt its definitely a Pillar of Fire.


This quilt has more then 30 colors in it.  The blocks are 2 1/2 inch blocks of many different shades of orange, yellow,  and red.  The back of this quilt was a solid piece of orange fabric I do not remember what it was originally bought for, but it was decided that it was way too bright for it.  But I think it fits this quilt well.


In my post This, That, and the Other Thing I talked about how I was having trouble deciding what binding to use I had bought the orange binding that I ended up using and was wimping out and thinking about something else, any way long story short I got talked into using it and doing a biased binding (which I had never before done, and it will be a while until I do it again).  I sort of suck at reading directions on how to do it and I ended up with a serious mess on my hands with dozens of short pieces all sewn together.  But in the end it looks wonderful.


I quilted this quilt with my quilting of choice, an echo quilt.  Because of the small 2 inch view able blocks and echo's on all sides I ended up doing a lot of quilting on this little quilt and I think it turned out fantastic.


Last of all I want to thank my son James for taking the pictures of the quilt.  I think he gave it a neat look and feel with his pictures.  While I am thanking people, thanks goes to Ella from Throw a wench in the works for the name Helix which I will name my pattern.  Also to Karen from The Recipe Bunny for suggesting the name Pillar of Fire for the quilt. And for giving me the confidence to attempt a biased binding Elizabeth from Such as Sew and Sew and to all others who help and give me suggestions along the way.




16 comments:

Ella said...

Thanks for the thanks! It looks fab. I totally didn't get how to do biased binding until they did a demo at the quilt guild. I still mostly stick to straight edge binding.

Gene Black said...

It looks great. I Like both names.

Karen said...

The quilt looks great! I love the quilting you did and your son did a fantastic job on the pictures. Thanks for the shout out! :)

Rachell said...

Wow. That's great. I recently finished a quilt with yellow and grey---I now know why grey is the new neutral--it's fabulous! And your quilt is memorizing with all the flame colors!
BTW, if you like yellows, oranges and reds together, I'm using quilting thread by Superior called King Tut, and the color is Chariots of Fire...variegated. Really wonderful color combination.

Karen said...

Wow - it looks amazing, great job :o)

Andrea said...

Super job, Richard! Love the names and the colors...and the back really works very well. Feel proud.

Anonymous said...

Helix seems the perfect name for the pattern, and Pillar of Fire for this particular one. Great job!

Christine M said...

Your quilt looks great Richard.

Amy said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! Great pattern you created.

Leah said...

It's beautiful!!!! Great colors

Fowl Single File said...

I just love all the reds and oranges - lovely colors and lovely work!

Becky said...

Wonderful quilt! I love it! My DH is a fire fighter, so it makes me like it even more ;-).

Katy Cameron said...

Great effect with the kind of swirl of colour

CitricSugar said...

I love your use of colour!

Lorna McMahon said...

Hi Richard... Just concerned. This was posted in advance on Amy's site:

To Participate & Win :
1 – Write a post the week of the festival, featuring your finished quilt (old posts will be deleted).

Don't want to see your Pillar of Fire disqualified based on the date of your post.

Mara said...

I am so happy to have this pattern, it really is an awesome quilt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...