Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Richard Quilts - Quilting Challenge #1


If you have followed my blog or I have followed your blog for long you know by now that I like to talk and email and blog and of course quilt.  And I am up to any challenge that can be given.  While today with the encouragement of http://marciascraftysewing.blogspot.com/ I mentioned to Marcia a while back about these chairs I found.  At work I am a Computer Programmer and we just happened to move offices I went from a Cubicle to a actual office.  And as such I needed some guest chairs (you know just in case some one wants to visit me).  When we moved into the building (A old building which has not been updated in quite a while) In our break room sat these chairs.  Or Accountant commented how hideous they were and they just had to go.  I could not believe they wanted to toss them so I graded the 2 of them and rescued them.


I love contests and giveaways (as I am sure some have noticed I enter every one I see) I would like to have a Challenge that includes prizes and taking strait from Marcia's Idea the first one I would like every one that would like to enter to create a block inspired by these chairs.  I would like you to send me the blocks (this is your entry into the contest) I will sew those blocks together and every one that enters will have a name put into the drawing (one chance per block you can make more then 1 block) Once I have enough blocks to make a quilt top (we can do Lap Quilts for this first challenge)  If we can get enough people to send in blocks we can have multiple quilts.

So to be clear 1 block 1 entry.  I will sew the quilt top together and those that join the challenge can win the quilt top (you will need to complete your top you win on your own).  


The blocks do not need to exactly match the chair just be inspired by it  The X block for example could be pieced or raw edge applique.  If you are not interested in making a block and entering it to win a quilt I still challenge you to make something based off the chair.  This is purely for fun.  I have created a flicker group that you can post completed blocks in or talk more about this.  I would like to do this at least monthly but could do more often based on your desires.  http://www.flickr.com/groups/richardquiltschallenge/ is the flicker group join up if your interested.  Either way leave a comment here letting me know if this is a good idea or if I am just crazy (My wife would tell you I am just crazy but look at all those quilts I have made)

Thanks Richard Healey



7 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds kinda fun! I am in. Ps tell me about your bingo card

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Of course count me in!
I am brainstorming a block already!
Glad you rescued the chairs!

Size of the block ?? 12 1/2"

Thanks for the challenge!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

And thanks for linking up to Minutes for Me Linky Party!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Neat fabric and it could really inspire some blocks! Thanks for sharing Richard!

Kimberlee at SD said...

That sounds like fun! Would using your 16-patch dissapearing {sp} be okay. I am still 'in the air' on what I want to do for Ms. V's baby quilt {she is a year old already, LOL}, and really like the idea of blocks made like yours, but using two different color tones.
~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm in. I had missed this. I would not have forgotten those chairs! =) I guarantee they won't be orange, though! LOL

Melissa Corry said...

Look like it will be a good time :) Thanks for linking up :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...